- Nouveau Monde Graphite (NOU) has been chosen as the first mining partner of the Canadian Government’s electrification strategy
- The collaborative initiative will seek to develop electric systems and infrastructure for heavy vehicles used in open-pit mining
- Nouveau Monde plans to use 12 electric trucks, in order to reduce its greenhouse gas emissions by over 220 tons
- The company hopes to eventually become the world’s first 100 per cent electric open-pit mine
- Nouveau Monde Graphite (NOU) is up 6.67 per cent and is currently trading for C$0.40 per share
Nouveau Monde Graphite (NOU) has been chosen as the first mining partner of the Canadian Government’s electrification strategy.
The initiative will bring together research and industry leaders, including the Innovative Vehicle Institute, Propulsion Québec, Adria Power Systems, Dana TM4, Fournier et fils, InnovÉÉ, and the National Research Council of Canada.
In collaboration, these entities will seek to develop electric systems and infrastructure for heavy vehicles used in open-pit mining. The new electric propulsion system and rapid recharging infrastructure will help to electrify heavy vehicles used in North American mining operations.
Nouveau Monde will play a part by making use of the first ever electric heavy-duty mining vehicles. The prototype of the vehicle should make its first real-world test runs at a company site as early as spring in 2022.
The company plans to eventually use 12 of the electric trucks, in hopes of becoming the world’s first 100 per cent electric open-pit mine. Using the 12 electric trucks will save more than 80,000 litres of diesel per year, and reduce Nouveau Monde’s greenhouse gas emissions by over 220 tons.
The Minister of the Environment and the Fight Against Climate Change, Benoit Charette, spoke with great excitement about the project.
“To tackle climate challenges, we have to replace fossil fuels with our hydropower as much as we possibly can.
“I commend the partners in this project for their commitment to creating the first 100 per cent electric heavy duty vehicle designed for open-pit mining.
“We are proud to support this project, which is perfectly in line with our government’s vision of electrifying Quebec’s economy, particularly the transportation sector, with the twofold objective of reducing our greenhouse gas emissions and stimulating our economy,” he said.
Nouveau Monde Graphite (NOU) is up 6.67 per cent and is trading for C$0.40 per share, as of 3:01pm EST.