- Microbix Biosystems (TSX:MBX) has appointed Alpha-Tec Systems to distribute its quality assessment products (QAPs) throughout the United States
- Under the agreement, Alpha-Tec will provide distribution, sales, marketing and technical support for Microbix’s full range of QAPs
- Alpha-Tec currently has existing relationships with a range of independent chains, hospitals, diagnostics companies and research entities
- Microbix has signed several distribution agreements so far this year, expanding its reach across Europe, Australasia and North America
- Microbix Biosystems (MBX) is currently up 1.56 per cent and is trading at C$0.32 per share at 3:09pm EDT
Microbix Biosystems (TSX:MBX) has appointed Alpha-Tec Systems to distribute its quality assessment products (QAPs) throughout the United States.
There are currently four-dozen QAPs across Microbix’s PROCEEDx and REDx Controls tradenames, which aim to increase the accuracy of bacterial and viral diseases tests.
The QAPs span sexually-transmitted, gastrointestinal and respiratory infections, including SARS-CoV-2, which causes COVID-19.
Under the terms of the agreement, Alpha-Tec will provide distribution, sales, marketing and technical support for Microbix’s full range of QAPs. This includes its whole-genome controls for the testing of COVID-19, which are compatible with existing commercial lab instruments and point-of-care test systems.
Phil Casselli, Senior Vice President of Sales and Business Development at Microbix, noted that the US has become the world’s largest market for the company’s QAPs.
“We’re therefore pleased to have established this relationship with Alpha-Tec.
“Our COVID-19 and HPV REDx QAPs are now available for the US, and Alpha-Tec has the team and relationships needed to make certain Microbix’s QAPs become widely used by healthcare organisations throughout the country,” he said.
Founded in 1979, Alpha-Tec has developed a network of relationships within the US clinical laboratory sector. These range from independent chains and hospitals, to diagnostics companies and research entities.
Microbix’s current line of QAPs represents a complimentary addition to Alpha-Tec’s existing portfolio, which already includes validation tools for the testing of microbial pathogens.
Chris Williams, General Manager of Alpha-Tec Systems, said the COVID-19 pandemic has made the public far more aware of the dangers presented by inaccurate testing.
“We believe that products which help labs avoid both false-negative and false-positive results are very much needed.
“We’re therefore very pleased to be able to provide Microbix’s innovative test controls to our clinical laboratory and hospital customers, certainly for COVID-19 but equally for Microbix’s other current or emerging QAPs,” he added.
So far this year, Microbix has signed a host of new distribution agreements. These include a deal with R-Biopharm which covers 11 countries across Australasia, Europe and North America, as well as an agreement with Labquality Oy to cover Denmark, Estonia, Finland, Latvia, Lithuania, Poland and Sweden.
Microbix Biosystems (MBX) is currently up 1.56 per cent and is trading at C$0.32 per share at 3:09pm EDT.