- Erdene Resources (TSX:ERD) has completed its Environmental and Social Impact Assessment for the Khundii gold project in Southern Mongolia
- The company must now take the assessment to local stakeholder groups for feedback, before submitting the report to Mongolia’s regulating body
- The company is making a concerted effort to maintain water resources on the site, as the project sits on traditional Mongolian grazing land
- Erdene hopes to recycle up to 80 per cent of water in the production plant and will provide a water testing program for the local herders
- Erdene Resources (ERD) is up 9.62 per cent and is trading at C$0.28 per share
Erdene Resources (TSX:ERD) has completed its Environmental and Social Impact Assessment for the Khundii gold project in Southern Mongolia.
The company will submit the independent report to the Mongolian regulators. The work for the report was done by Sustainability East Asia, Ramboll Australia and Eco Trade.
Erdene has committed to developing Khundii in accordance with leading industry practices, which would manage a host of desperate environmental concerns.
The company has designed infrastructure on the proposed site to improve air quality, minimise waste and maximise worker safety. Furthermore, as the site juts into traditional Mongolian grazing land, the company is taking extra care to prioritise water resources on the site.
Erdene have committed to an 80 per cent recycled water program in the processing plant, alongside a water monitoring program with the local herders and stakeholders groups.
Seasonal water use on the site will be tightly controlled, and the company plans to drill provisional reserve water wells to guarantee supply.
Eredene is releasing its report alongside other technical reports to maximise the amount of feedback and input the company can get on the proposed site.
Erdene’s CEO and President, Peter Akerley said report outlined the company’s commitment to responsible mine development.
“This assessment is a decisive point for the evolution of the Khundii gold project, which will contribute to the vitality and economic diversification of Bayankhongor province and the development of Mongolia’s hard rock gold mining industry,” he said.
Erdene Resources (ERD) is up 9.62 per cent and is trading at C$0.28 per share at 2:00 pm EDT.