- Descartes Systems’ (TSX:DSG) MacroPoint technology will help to track critical medical supplies and grocery shipments amid COVID-19
- With it, Circle Logistics will provide the US Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) and grocery customers with real-time cargo visibility
- The cloud-based technology gives freight brokers, logistics service providers, and shippers the real-time location, status, and ETA of shipments
- All parties involved hope that the technology will assist in preventing supply chain disruptions during the crisis
- Descartes’ share price is down 1.53 per cent, and is currently trading for C$50.91 per share
Descartes Systems’ (TSX:DSG) MacroPoint technology will be used to track critical medical supplies and grocery shipments during COVID-19.
With it, Circle Logistics will provide the US Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) and grocery customers with real-time cargo visibility.
The cloud-based MacroPoint can give freight brokers, logistics service providers, and shippers the real-time location, status, and ETA of shipments. Circle Logistics will use it to monitor freight movement, and take corrective action to prevent potential supply chain disruptions. Right now, with supply chains feeling the strain of the pandemic, this is more important than ever.
Circle Logistics’ Sales and Operations VP, Andrew Smith, said that the company has truly rallied in the wake of COVID-19.
“We’ve shifted our entire transportation network to manage a 700 per cent increase in volume. Customers are moving critical freight, including personal protective equipment, respirators and cots for FEMA, and grocery loads for major brands.
Descartes MacroPoint provides the visibility platform that our organisation can use to track the movement of these goods. Without it, pivoting business and moving our 12 offices to a work-from-home environment would have been much more challenging,” he said.
Descartes’ Vice President and General Manager of Transportation Management, Dan Cicerchi, commented on the development.
“We’re pleased to support Circle Logistics on the front lines of getting critical supplies to where they’re needed most.
The transportation industry is facing extraordinary demands to keep all kinds of shipments moving. Logistics and supply chain technologies are playing a more critical role than ever to ensure the flow of goods happens quickly, efficiently, and as transparently as possible,” he said.
Descartes Systems (DSG) share price is down 1.53 per cent, and trading for C$50.91 per share, as of 12:50pm EST.