- South African coal producer, Buffalo Coal (BUF) has confirmed that one of its employees has tested positive for COVID-19
- The employee, who works at the processing plant at the company’s Coalfields site, has entered quarantine
- Seven employees who have been in direct contact with the employee have been asked to self-isolate, and will undergo testing
- The company is conducting a deep cleaning and sanitation process in all areas where the employee may have worked
- Buffalo Coal’s (BUF) remains unchanged since July 10, when it was trading at C$0.005 per share
South African coal producer, Buffalo Coal (BUF) has confirmed that one of its employees has tested positive for COVID-19.
The company’s operations are located in the coal mining town of Dundee, within the South African province of KwaZulu-Natal. The employee who tested positive for COVID-19 works at the processing plant based at Buffalo Coal’s Coalfields site.
After presenting with flu-like symptoms, the employee was quarantined and referred to a medical practitioner. The company received confirmation of the test results on July 11.
As a result, Buffalo Coal has identified seven employees deemed to have had direct contact with the infected employee. Those workers have been asked to self-isolate and will be tested for COVID-19 as a precaution. These actions are in line with national health protocols relating to the pandemic.
Buffalo Coal has also begun a deep cleaning and sanitation of all areas where the employee may have worked onsite. In order to ensure that the Coalfields processing plant can continue operating, the company has re-deployed some of its employees to work.
The company has informed various governmental bodies about the confirmed COVID-19 case at its site. These include the Department of Health, the Department of Mineral Resources and Energy, and the National Institute of Communicable Diseases.
Buffalo Coal has also informed the regional health authorities and labour unions. Engagements related to this issue are still ongoing and will remain under close observation.
Buffalo Coal’s (BUF) remains unchanged since July 10, when it was trading at C$0.005 per share