- Bausch Health Companies (TSX:BHC) is initiating a Canada-based trial of its Virazole drug to treat respiratory distress in COVID-19 patients
- The product has approval for use in the US and Canada, and treats respiratory distress in infants and young children
- Bausch Health hopes that the drug, which stops the respiratory syncytial virus from replicating, will similarly effect COVID-19
- The company’s trial on adult patients will begin in the next few weeks
- Bausch Health Companies (BHC) is down 1.7 per cent, with shares trading for C$24.82 and a $8.75 billion market cap
Bausch Health Companies (TSX:BHC) is initiating a Canada-based trial of its Virazole drug to treat respiratory distress in COVID-19 patients.
The drug is an aerosol that delivers ribavirin directly to patients suffering from respiratory syncytial virus. The product has approval for use in the US and Canada, and often treats infants and young children.
Virazole stops the syncytial virus replicating, and the company hopes that it will have a similar effect on COVID-19.
Health Canada has approved the trial of the product on COVID-19 patients. The trial will compare two dosages of the drug on adults who have COVID-19 and are suffering from respiratory distress.
The company’s Virazole trial will begin in the next few weeks. Bausch Health is currently in talks with the US Food and Drug Administration to organise further testing.
Bausch Health’s Chairman and CEO, Joseph C. Papa, sees this as another step in the company’s ongoing battle with COVID-19.
“We are actively pursuing approval of our trial protocol around the world to test the efficacy and safety of Virazole in this patient population.
“Bausch Health will remain focused – for as long as necessary – on doing our part to help end this unprecedented global health pandemic, including donating our healthcare products, conducting research to find new treatment options, and supporting patients, healthcare providers and our employees,” he said.
The company has already made the drug freely available to Italy’s medical community, to help manage COVID-19’s impact on the population.
Bausch Health Companies (BHC) is down 1.7 per cent with shares trading for C$24.82 at 10:46am EST.