- Avivagen (TSXV:VIV) plans to fast-track the launch of its OxC-Beta product in response to the COVID-19 pandemic
- The company intends to launch the product as a health supplement for human use
- Avivagen has previously marketed OxC-Beta as an alternative antibiotic for livestock
- OxC-Beta may have properties that support the immune system and reduce chronic inflammatory symptoms
- Avivagen’s (VIV) share price remains unchanged, and is currently trading at $0.50 per share
Life sciences company Avivagen (TSXV:VIV) plans to fast-track its launch of OxC-Beta for human use amid the COVID-19 pandemic.
The company has previously marketed its patent-protected OxC-Beta product as an alternative antibiotic for livestock. Recently, Avivagen reported that its OxC-Beta Livestock compound was effective in treating mastitis (breast inflammation) in cows.
In the wake of the coronavirus pandemic, Avivagen intends to accelerate the launch of OxC-Beta as a human health supplement.
Avivagen’s published work in peer-reviewed journals, along with unpublished proof-of-concept studies show that OxC-Beta supports and primes the immune system. It also dampens or decreases chronic inflammatory responses.
In a study of bovine respiratory disease, OxC-Beta prevented the harmful inflammation that can cause respiratory failure and death. As such, the study demonstrated that OxC-Beta may help to treat other respiratory syndromes, such as those caused by coronaviruses.
Company CEO, Kym Anthony, said that Avivagen has a duty to bring the product launch forward, to assist in the fight against COVID-19.
“We have established a compelling body of work for our initial product launches into animal markets, which are gaining traction based on consistent results.
This same body of scientific work also supports our decision to launch our product as a health supplement. The supplement will support optimal immune function, while also dampening chronic and potentially damaging inflammatory effects.
Longer term, our patent-protected OxC-beta product will help countless people face daily challenges with a primed immune system ready to fight pathogens and keep inflammation at bay,” he said.
Avivagen’s (VIV) share price remains unchanged, and is trading at $0.50 per share, as of 10:13am EST.